Friday, August 24, 2012

It looked like Jesus when I started,... I know, I'll just blame someone else!







God Bless her. I feel for the 80 something woman who took it upon herself to "touch up" a masterpiece painting of Jesus, only to realize too late, that she was in over her head.

I can't help but imagine she must have gone through the same thought process as Barack Obama when he took on a job too big for his abilities.

When I look at her handy work, I wonder, after finishing the left eye, did she say to herself, "OK, that's not quite what I was looking for, but I should at least try to make the right look similar, then I can come back and maybe they will like it once they get used to it".

Did Obama also, say, "OK, I didn't try to work with the GOP and I didn't get any votes from them for my debt bomb stimulus package, and after a year, I'm not seeing the response I'd expected, maybe I can go at the Obamacare monstrousity with the same lack of transperancy and failure to work with others and see if the two heavily polled and unpopular policy beasts at least look like something people will eventually learn to accept once they realize most of the damage is done."

Did she step back and say, "My Lord, this looked so easy when I saw other restorers do this, why is this going so off track? Maybe I should have brought along others to assist me, because going it alone carries a heavy burden of responsibility. I know, I'll say, I'm an old person and a victim, I should have had more help"

When she got to the mouth, It looks like she just kind of drew a big hole and began to smudge and smear and eventually give up any pretense of a real effort.

And hasn't Obama seemed like that for the last year. Occasionally he'll talk about Stimulus 2, but then he steps back and shakes his head. Then he tries to rename it by calling it roads and bridges, sometimes teachers are tossed in, but he knows its just Stimulus 2 and then he wonders why it seemed so easy to those guys who went before him.

In the end, the poor woman decided to bring her work up and out in the open. I'm trying to imagine what the priests faces looked like when they saw what she had done to the Lord Jesus and the masterpiece that had been cared for by so many generations of caretakers before her. What could she say? I did my best! It was damaged before, I was trying to fix it. It would have been worse had I done nothing.

The priest might have picked his jaw up off the floor and said, "You were not qualified to fix this. You should have waited for someone who was qualified. Why didn't you respect the ideas and opinions of others by sharing your plans with others and allowing input from the other caretakers of this precious treasure?"

In the end, she succumbed to temptation and sought refuge in that irresistible shelter from shame,...she blamed the priests.


Meanwhile, Cecilia Giménez, the octogenarian who allegedly took it upon herself to touch up the decaying artwork, has made an appearance on television to claim her restoration effort was sanctioned by the priest at the church where the fresco resides.

At least she waited until the outrage in the end. Obama has been blaming everyone else from the very beginning. He will go down in history as the President whose dog at his homework.

He began as the new messiah who played the part of a presidential candidate, but when his brush touched the canvas, his work was not merely the expressions of child like brush strokes. He chose to do his fresco upon the wall of the great masters who built and protected the greatest country ever created, and just as the owners of this sacred painting are now saying,....people who understand the true value of a masterpiece fear the damage is so great, it may never be completely restored.

No comments: